With over 50,000 WordPress plugins available, there are a lot to sort through! We’ve done a lot of digging, and have found the cream of the crop for you. We already gave you our list of top most essential WordPress plugins. Now here is our list of of the Best WordPress plugins, which we install on our sites most often, and all of these are FREE!
We’ve done our best to find the plugins which have the best feature, with the most functionality for free. Some of them are freemium (offer a “pro” version), but many of them are completely free and open source.
- Minify and combine your JS and CSS files.
- Cache Enabler
- Cache your site to make it fast!
- For a guide on how to speed up your site with this plugin, see our guide on the secrets to make your site faster.
- WP Force SSL & HTTPS Redirect
- Along with an SSL certificate, this plugin will ensure all traffic to your site stays secure.
- A great thing about this plugin is that it can enable HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) – HSTS is a web security policy mechanism that helps to protect your site against protocol downgrade attacks and cookie hijacking. This is a feature that other SSL plugins charge a premium fee for.
- Another interesting fact is that Google will boost the search ranking of sites with HTTPS.
- Secure your site a secure certificate! Please note, all of AccelerHosting’s plans come with FREE SSL Certificates.
- A good SEO plugin. Or second place Rank Math, which we’re continuing to evaluate…
- Protect your site from brute force attacks.
- WP Broken Link Status Checker
- To check for external broken links.
- Helps you look for and automatically redirect so you do not end up with internal broken links.
- Safe SVG
- Great if you want to use Scalable Vector Graphics, which we highly recommend.
- Turn your site into an e-commerce store!
- Bonus: to filter products try Themify Woocommerce Product Filter
- Best free evergreen countdown timer.
- WP Scraper
- Great for moving content from your old site.
- Post Type Switcher
- Switch from Post to Page types easily.
- Ninja Tables
- To make your tables look beautiful.
- Or another Tables plugin like TablePress
- Instant Images (Unsplash)
- For free, Royalty free images.
- Feedzy RSS Aggregator
- Aggregate RSS feeds from other sites onto your site.
- Custom Codes
- Pods – Custom Content Types and Fields
- Advanced custom post/content types with custom fields and relational content that is bi-directional.
- This one is VERY powerful, and completely free open source, with a big community behind it!
- The Event Calendar
- For event management compatible with Pods.
- Restrict User Access – Membership Plugin with Force
- A membership plugin with Pods custom post type compatibility.
- Content Views – Post Grid & Filter for WordPress
- For filtering items in a grid
- Pro version includes custom post types from Pods.
- Themify Popup
- Make custom popups, including exit intent.
- Structured Content
- Easily make FAQ Snippets.
- Easy Table of Contents
- Quickly make a table of contents for you post that will anchor link to it’s different sections.
Bonus WordPress Plugins:
- Dark Mode
- Ok, we couldn’t resist trowing in a bonus: If the WordPress admin panel is too bright for you, try Dark Mode!
- Code Snippets
- Override code from you theme, in some cases negating the need for a child-theme.
- Child Theme Configurator
- If you end up really needing to customize your theme with a child theme, this tool will help you do it in the easiest way.
- Featured Image in RSS
- Strangely, the featured image of a post doesn’t show up by default in your RSS feed. If you find yourself wanting to have the featured image in your RSS feed, this plugin is your ticket!
- Super Socializer
- This plugin is great for adding social share buttons to your posts, and also allowing users to login with their social network of choice.
- Turns WordPress into a code editor, even a full IDE (Integrated Development Environment) with revision history!
Your Favorite WordPress Plugins?
Find some other WordPress plugins you like, that you think we’re missing in our list? Please drop us a comment blow, and we’ll try to add it. Thanks!
Low Quality Plugins Can Slow Your Site
Keep in mind that activating too many plugins on your WordPress site can slow it down, especially of they are low quality or poorly written plugins. The plugins above were carefully selected, and are among the more performant plugins you can find, but keep in mind that the more plugins you have installed, the more code your site needs to run.
Faster Web Hosting
If your existing web host is not running fast enough, you may want to consider looking at some faster web hosts that are optimized for WordPress, such as AccelerHosting. In fact, some third party testing indicates that AccelerHosting ranks #1 among all of the top web hosts.